Mem Fox | Brief Biography
Mem Fox | Brief Biography
Mem Fox is an Australian author, literacy educator, and storyteller who has made a significant contribution to the world of children’s literature. Born in Melbourne, Australia, in 1946, she has written over 30 books for children and has been a strong advocate for the importance of literacy and early childhood education.
Fox grew up in Africa and attended the University of Cape Town in South Africa, where she earned a Bachelor of Arts in English and Psychology. After graduation, she taught English in Zimbabwe for several years before returning to Australia to complete a Master of Education at the University of Adelaide. It was during this time that she began to write her own stories for children, and her first book, “Possum Magic,” was published in 1983.
“Possum Magic” became an instant classic, and has since sold over three million copies worldwide. The book tells the story of Grandma Poss and Hush, two possums who live in the Australian bush. When Hush becomes invisible, Grandma Poss sets out to make him visible again through a series of magical adventures. “Possum Magic” has been widely praised for its whimsical, imaginative story and its appealing illustrations, and has been translated into many languages.
Mem Fox has continued to write and publish many more books for children, including “Where is the Green Sheep?” (1984), “Time for Bed” (1993), and “Koala Lou” (1996), among others. She is known for her ability to craft stories that are both engaging and educational, and her books often address important themes such as friendship, family, and the natural world.
In addition to her work as a writer, Fox has been a passionate advocate for literacy and early childhood education. She has spoken widely on these topics and has written several books and articles on the subject, including “Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever” (2001) and “Ten Read-Aloud Commandments: Tales and Tips for Reading Aloud” (2008).
Fox’s work has been widely recognized and she has received numerous awards and honors. In 2000, she was made a Member of the Order of Australia for her services to children’s literature and literacy education, and in 2010, she was awarded the Dromkeen Medal, which is presented annually to individuals who have made an outstanding contribution to Australian children’s literature. 0 0 0.
Mem Fox’s official website: https://www.memfox.net/
“Mem Fox” by Pat Pledger, in “The Oxford Companion to Australian Children’s Literature” (1999)
“Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever” by Mem Fox (2001)
“Mem Fox: A Life in Children’s Books” by Margaret Hamilton, in “Reading Time: The Journal of the Children’s Book Council of Australia” (2010). ***
N.B. The article originally belongs to the book entitled ‘Biographies of Writers Around the World‘ by Menonim Menonimus.
Books of Biography by M. Menonimus:
- The World Writers-Brief Biographies
- Introduction to World Writers
- Introduction to World Personalities
- Love of Reputed Persons
- Brief Biographies of Prominent Bengali Writers
- Brief Biographies of Eminent Monarchs
- Brief Biographies of Ancient Thinkers and Writers
- Brief Biographies of Eminent Generals and Conquerors
- Biographies of Writers Around the World ..
Books of Literary Criticism by M. Menonimus:
- World Short Story Criticism
- World Poetry Criticism
- World Drama Criticism
- World Novel Criticism
- World Essay Criticism
- Indian English Poetry Criticism
- Indian English Poets and Poetry Chief Features
- Emily Dickinson’s Poetry-A Thematic Study
- Walt Whitman’s Poetry-A Thematic Study
- Critical Essays on English Poetry
- Tawfiq al-Hakim’s Novel: Return of the Spirit-An Analytical Study
- Tawfiq al-Hakim’s Novel: ‘Yawmiyyat Naib Fil Arayaf’-An Analytical Study
- Analytical Studies of Some Arabic Short Stories
- A Brief History of Arabic Literature: Pre-Islamic Period (500 AD-622 AD)
- A Brief History of Arabic Literature: Early Islamic Period (622 AD-661 AD)
- Reviews on William Shakespeare’s Works
- Reviews of Charles Dickens’ Works
- Reviews of John Milton’s Literary Works
- Reviews of Some Iconic Travelogues …
- Famous Writers
- The Lives of the Poets
- 10 Best Generals of All Time
- Muslim Leaders in History
- Best Military Commanders of All Time …