Nissim Ezekiel | Philosophical Toys | Analytical Study
Nissim Ezekiel’s Poem ‘Philosophical Toys’-An Analytical Study
“Philosophical Toys” by Nissim Ezekiel is a contemplative poem that delves into the inner thoughts and creative process of a poet. The speaker reflects on their journey as a writer, the influence of different literary figures, and their approach to crafting poetry. The poem conveys a sense of simplicity and contentment in the act of writing, as the poet refers to their verses as “philosophical toys.”
The poem begins with the poet describing the act of writing poetry, with the speaker stopping at the fifth verse. The clock plays a significant role, and the poet takes inspiration from it to measure their time and progress. The poet acknowledges that their mother did not teach them about the facts of life, and they do not seek sophisticated craftsmanship in their writing.
The poet’s pen was given to them by a friend who admired their verses and shared them with others. The speaker learned to write poetry in English during their school days and aspired to write like renowned poets such as Tagore and D.H. Lawrence. However, they admit that it took them some time to gain the necessary life experience to match their literary aspirations.
While waiting for their life experiences to align with their poetic ambitions, the poet practiced sexual positions described in “Lady Chatterly’s Lover,” a novel by D.H. Lawrence. The poet’s model for writing about Krishna was Hamlet’s soliloquy, which influenced their style of dispassionate passion.
The poet reveals that they no longer have to pretend they are talking to themselves while writing, suggesting a more mature and authentic creative process. To write their philosophical toys, the poet needs to stop at the fifth verse and spend an hour in solitude with a clock. They have their books, pen, and paper, and during this time, they write a few lines. By the end of the hour, they will have five verses that fit their ancient point of view.
The poet humbly refers to their verses as “philosophical toys,” suggesting that their poems may not receive widespread recognition or remembrance. Yet, the poet seems content with this outcome, emphasizing the personal joy and satisfaction they find in the act of writing.
To sum up “Philosophical Toys” by Nissim Ezekiel provides readers with a glimpse into the inner world of a poet and their creative process. The poem celebrates simplicity, introspection, and personal fulfillment in the act of writing poetry. It also touches on the poet’s aspirations, their journey of self-discovery, and the influence of literary figures on their artistic expression. Overall, the poem conveys a sense of contentment in the poet’s craft, highlighting the intrinsic value of creativity and the joy it brings to the writer, even if their work remains unnoticed by others. 0 0 0.
Nissim Ezekiel Philosophical Toys Analytical Study
N. B. The article ‘Nissim Ezekiel Philosophical Toys Analytical Study’ originally belongs to the book ‘Analytical Studies of Selected Indian English Poems‘ by Menonim Menonimus.
Books of Literary Criticism by M. Menonimus:
- World Short Story Criticism
- World Poetry Criticism
- World Drama Criticism
- World Novel Criticism
- World Essay Criticism
- Indian English Poetry Criticism
- Indian English Poets and Poetry Chief Features
- Emily Dickinson’s Poetry-A Thematic Study
- Walt Whitman’s Poetry-A Thematic Study
- Critical Essays on English Poetry
- Tawfiq al-Hakim’s Novel: Return of the Spirit-An Analytical Study
- Tawfiq al-Hakim’s Novel: ‘Yawmiyyat Naib Fil Arayaf’-An Analytical Study
- Analytical Studies of Some Arabic Short Stories
- A Brief History of Arabic Literature: Pre-Islamic Period (500 AD-622 AD)
- A Brief History of Arabic Literature: Early Islamic Period (622 AD-661 AD)
- Reviews on William Shakespeare’s Works
- Reviews of Charles Dickens’ Works
- Reviews of John Milton’s Literary Works
- Reviews of Some Iconic Travelogues
- Shakespeare’s Sonnets-Critical Studies
- Analytical Studies of Selected Poems of Sarojini Naidu
- Analytical Studies of Selected Poems of Rabindranath Tagore
- Analytical Studies of Selected Indian English Poems …
Additional Searches :
- Indian Poems
- Top 10 Indian English Poets
- Indian English Poets
- Indian Poetry in English
- Themes and Characteristics of Nissim Ezekiel’s Poetry
- Nissim Ezekiel
- Poetry of Nissim Ezekiel