Nissim Ezekiel | Enterprise | Analytical Study
Nissim Ezekiel’s Poem ‘Enterprise’-An Analytical Study
“Enterprise” by Nissim Ezekiel is a reflective poem that explores themes of love, rejection, ambition, and acceptance. The speaker narrates a personal experience where they flee from a hotel after an explosion and use this incident as a metaphor for leaving behind past relationships and embracing a new venture in life.
The poem opens with the speaker recounting the moment they heard an explosion while taking a bath. In a state of panic, they abandon the soap and hastily dress up to escape from the hotel, which later burns down. The speaker expresses a desire to forget the town and, intriguingly, someone they address as “you” who is far away and not expected to return. This suggests a past relationship that has ended or grown distant, leaving the speaker with unresolved feelings.
In this stanza, the speaker contemplates their worthiness of love, expressing a hope that even as an “ungainly and clumsy man,” they could be loved by the distant “you.” However, they seem resigned to the possibility that the affection they desire may not be reciprocated. Despite this, the speaker declares that they have other matters to focus on and that they will venture into a new enterprise.
The speaker reveals their plan to start a company that manufactures matches, metaphorically referred to as the “fire of love.” These matches will be sold in attractive boxes and cases, primarily to be used for lighting cheroots and beedis (types of cigars). The ambitious plan indicates the speaker’s desire for financial success and the ability to live a lavish lifestyle.
The speaker describes their vision of prosperity, including making money, playing in the markets, and socializing with influential people and their charming spouses. They envision dressing well and owning an imported car, aiming to create an image of success and opulence.
Addressing the distant “you,” the speaker gives them the freedom to make their own choices and continue with their life as they please. The speaker expresses a lack of patience for waiting for the distant person, implying that they will move on without them.
The poem concludes with the speaker acknowledging the transience of life, comparing their fate to that of a hotel burning suddenly in flames. The reference to “middle-aged men and fading beauty” suggests the inevitability of aging and the impermanence of physical attractiveness.
“Enterprise” by Nissim Ezekiel is a reflective and introspective poem that explores themes of love, ambition, and the fleeting nature of life. Through a vivid narrative and powerful metaphors, the poem portrays the speaker’s journey of leaving behind past relationships and pursuing new aspirations. The poem’s contemplative tone and poignant reflections make it relatable to readers who have experienced heartbreak, ambition, or the uncertainties of life’s transitions. 0 0 0.
Nissim Ezekiel Enterprise Analytical Study
N. B. The article ‘Nissim Ezekiel Enterprise Analytical Study’ originally belongs to the book ‘Analytical Studies of Selected Indian English Poems‘ by Menonim Menonimus.
Nissim Ezekiel Enterprise Analytical Study
Books of Literary Criticism by M. Menonimus:
- World Short Story Criticism
- World Poetry Criticism
- World Drama Criticism
- World Novel Criticism
- World Essay Criticism
- Indian English Poetry Criticism
- Indian English Poets and Poetry Chief Features
- Emily Dickinson’s Poetry-A Thematic Study
- Walt Whitman’s Poetry-A Thematic Study
- Critical Essays on English Poetry
- Tawfiq al-Hakim’s Novel: Return of the Spirit-An Analytical Study
- Tawfiq al-Hakim’s Novel: ‘Yawmiyyat Naib Fil Arayaf’-An Analytical Study
- Analytical Studies of Some Arabic Short Stories
- A Brief History of Arabic Literature: Pre-Islamic Period (500 AD-622 AD)
- A Brief History of Arabic Literature: Early Islamic Period (622 AD-661 AD)
- Reviews on William Shakespeare’s Works
- Reviews of Charles Dickens’ Works
- Reviews of John Milton’s Literary Works
- Reviews of Some Iconic Travelogues
- Shakespeare’s Sonnets-Critical Studies
- Analytical Studies of Selected Poems of Sarojini Naidu
- Analytical Studies of Selected Poems of Rabindranath Tagore
- Analytical Studies of Selected Indian English Poems …
Additional Searches :
- Indian Poems
- Top 10 Indian English Poets
- Indian English Poets
- Indian Poetry in English
- Themes and Characteristics of Nissim Ezekiel’s Poetry
- Nissim Ezekiel
- Poetry of Nissim Ezekiel