Sarojini Naidu | Village Song | An Analytical Study
Sarojini Naidu’s Poem ‘Village Song’-An Analytical Study
“Village Song” by Sarojini Naidu is a poem that explores the conflict between the desires of youth and the expectations placed upon them by society and tradition. The poem captures the longing of a young person to escape the constraints of their village and embrace the enchantment of the wild forest.
The poem ‘Village Song’ begins with a conversation between a mother and her child. The mother questions the child’s decision to leave, asking if they are willing to abandon their jewels to the wind and grieve the lover who is about to marry them. The mother expresses concern and confusion about the child’s intentions.
In response, the child explains that they are going to the wild forest, where the Champa buds are blossoming on the Champa tree branches. They describe the allure of the river isles haunted by the calls of the fairy folk and the beauty of the lotus lilies. The child feels a strong pull towards this mystical and captivating place.
The mother, once again, tries to dissuade the child, emphasizing the pleasures of the world, including bridal songs, cradle songs, and leisure scented with sandalwood. The mother mentions the preparations for the child’s own wedding, with bridal robes being woven and bridal cakes being made. She questions why the child would choose to leave such comforts.
The child, however, expresses the fleeting nature of joy and the inevitability of sorrow. They find solace and beauty in the forest, where the sounds of forest streams and the notes of nature are sweeter. The child asserts that they cannot stay because they are being called by the fairy folk.
The poetic diction, or the choice of words, is lyrical and conveys a sense of longing and enchantment. The poem captures the yearning of youth to break free from the constraints of societal norms and embrace the allure of the unknown. 0 0 0
Sarojini Naidu Village Song An Analytical Study
N.B. The article ‘Sarojini Naidu Village Song An Analytical Study’ originally belongs to the book ‘Analytical Studies of Selected Poems of Sarojini Naidu‘ by Menonim Menonimus.
Books of Literary Criticism by M. Menonimus:
- World Short Story Criticism
- World Poetry Criticism
- World Drama Criticism
- World Novel Criticism
- World Essay Criticism
- Indian English Poetry Criticism
- Indian English Poets and Poetry Chief Features
- Emily Dickinson’s Poetry-A Thematic Study
- Walt Whitman’s Poetry-A Thematic Study
- Critical Essays on English Poetry
- Tawfiq al-Hakim’s Novel: Return of the Spirit-An Analytical Study
- Tawfiq al-Hakim’s Novel: ‘Yawmiyyat Naib Fil Arayaf’-An Analytical Study
- Analytical Studies of Some Arabic Short Stories
- A Brief History of Arabic Literature: Pre-Islamic Period (500 AD-622 AD)
- A Brief History of Arabic Literature: Early Islamic Period (622 AD-661 AD)
- Reviews on William Shakespeare’s Works
- Reviews of Charles Dickens’ Works
- Reviews of John Milton’s Literary Works
- Reviews of Some Iconic Travelogues
- Shakespeare’s Sonnets-Critical Studies
- Analytical Studies of Selected Poems of Sarojini Naidu …
Additional Searches :
- Sarojini Naidu Poems
- Sarojini Naidu
- Sarojini Naidu Poems-Best Poems Encyclopedia
- The Main Features of the Poetry of Sarojini Naidu